With the boom in Aging news, living and thriving in old age, taking center stage, no wonder every senior of family of senior might be contemplating the dilemma of senior living. Senior living situations are varied. One can age at home with or without outside support, move to another place for short term, long term or even if planning to spend the last days of their lives in a place away from home. No one answer or solution is right, as choices help people live to their fullest and experience life’s simple pleasures.
However the call of urgency is scary as it can get when something were to go wrong suddenly or somehow, unplanned, unexpected…. Leading to chaos, confusion and poor decisions.
To make matters worse, elderly with cognitive issues fare poorly in such and certain circumstances.
What is left behind is loss of income, finances, energy, motivation and the ability to find the right solution, services, supports or resources. Over decades of my career ….this was all too common …
Some of the thoughts on senior living are discussed below (pros)
1. More dynamic place, with lots of activity going on… making a senior to find friends with common interests not so difficult
2. Programs, activities, geared to different levels of care and condition of a senior
3. Meals prepared in dine and wine style, with many offering menu to choose on the go
4. Less clutter and material stuff to deal with and not spending time managing like one does at own home
5. Supportive services, people who work well versed in senior care
6. Private duty caregiver to hire, share, lighten duty at home
7. Socialization, safety, security… depending on level of care, place etc.
Some of the thoughts on senior living (cons)
1. Privacy issues, depends on personality of senior
2. Lack of support, help when needed, more independence
3. Work load increased, home management becoming cumbersome
4. Safety, due to clutter, too much material objects, gadgets not working
5. No activities apart from Television, radio. Unless senior has an active friend circle
6. Nutrition may be affected, loss of weight, malnutrition, not taking adequate meals due to burden of preparation, shopping or cooking and cleaning utensils
7. Commodities might create more harm, for example living with Chronic health conditions
This is a gist of senior living pros and cons, there are many more.
HYGGE AIM, Inc dba mihygge