Working at home while caring for an elderly with cognitive challenges?
Covid 19 has come, challenged us, and is still amongst us….
With it has come forward challenges that were unspoken in the past…
We may have faced covid-like situations previously and thought of this as the norm… Hmm?
Working at home is challenging, for many of us …
What if one has had to care for one’s parents or grandparents…. Someone so dear but with cognitive challenges.
Now those cognitive issues could be mild, moderate, severe, or end stage…
Many people in this world care for their parents, and caregiving has been seen as a family tradition…
Caregiving cannot be reversed, its role in healthy aging is critical if not endangered…
What would we do, or one do in such situations?
Here are some simple takeaways …
- Surround oneself with a support halo… organizations, communities, neighbors, local volunteer groups, charities, etc
- Understand the status of one’s parent or grandparent, the spectrum is very wide and confusing
- Caregiving is stressful, and avoiding crisis with proper education and resources is helpful
- What are the options, Sharing care, friends and family, local church, or adult day care?
- Diary and note taking… a daily routine can help unveil problems before they arise
- Setting routines, setting time for oneself
- Paid caregivers private, personal … if monetary health is safe and secure
- Having a conversation with one’s workplace ….
- Making and taking time to do routine work with some ways to be flexible…
- Pre-prepped meals or food, shopping online or through coop or community org
- Bathing services through volunteer organizations
- Hobby times for the elderly, making happy memories
- Keeping elderly’s health checks up to date
- Spiritual counseling
- Activities per the elderly ….
There are no right or wrong ways … for end-of-life care is very different than caring for someone with mild cognitive impairment and fully functional ….
We would love to know other ways, please share with a comment below, thanks for reading… we hope to bring you many many more ways in our future series…. And learn as we go along from viewers and readers like you
Wishing wonderful caregiving days, filled with heartfelt pride, appreciation, and empathy…
Cheers to all caregivers, and to all elderly for life is a life, whether it is incapable of reminiscing the present but only the past…Thank you